Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Week of School


Zach and I both experienced our first week of teaching this last week. I didn't feel prepared, but things went ok for that first week. I was amazed the first day at how kind and respectful the students are here. During that first week I was able to do fun activities with the students and now have to worry about them getting out of hand.



One day I took them outside for science. They were supposed to find a plant or insect and observe it, writing down their observations. As I sat on a bench watching my students run all around the school looking for an object to observe, I thought, "These students are amazing." They were so excited to do this activity and were eager to share what they wrote or found out. I feel like I'm really going to like teaching here.



Currently, I have 15 students. Since this is an international school, I have Filippinos, Americans, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean students. English is definitely our common language.




I do have a student who knows little English, and I feel like that will be difficult. I don't think he ever understands what I'm saying. The rest of my students speak English well.



Even though the students were great the first week, it was a hard week. I spent so much time before school began to organize my room, figure out my rules, etc.... that I didn't have much time to plan lessons. So after everyday of teaching, I'd usually be at school until at least 10:00 pm figuring out what I'd do for the next day. Once I can get a week ahead, I'll be a lot less stressed. All in all, it was a good week, and I don't dread going back to school on Monday.

No comments: